What’s one of the first things you do when you wake up? You probably head to the bathroom to shower, brush your teeth, and do whatever you need to get ready for the day. You’ve done the same thing every morning for years and it’s gotten to the point where you don’t even think about it anymore. It’s habitual and becomes the norm. We know that establishing a workout routine can be difficult. However, with a little bit of practice, working out can be just as routine as brushing your teeth. That’s why we compiled these 6 simple tips to help you get into a routine that’ll stick!
1. Start Out Slow
If you haven’t been consistent with a workout routine, ease into it at first. Health and fitness are all about consistency. If you immediately jump into intense workouts five days a week, change your diet, and start sleeping less to accommodate your training, you’re probably (let’s be real—definitely) not going to be able to sustain that. Your body isn’t ready for all of that change at once. Start out slow so you can ease into a healthier routine. That way you don’t lose sight of your workout sessions, diet, and daily motivation!
2. Plan Ahead
Everyone’s schedule can be hectic. Changing your routine can be stressful. One way to ease this transition is to plan ahead. Here are some simple things you can do to take some stress out of your new workout routine:
For working out in the morning:
- Pick out your workout clothes the night before.
- Prepare your lunch and breakfast the night before (did someone say overnight oats?).
- Maybe look into dry shampoo—a big time-saver for you folks with long locks.
For working out in the evening:
- Depending on when and where you’re working out, bring your workout clothes with you to work or lay them out at home the night before.
- Meal prep on the weekends. This way you have all your meals set for the coming week. Your future self will thank you for the extra time!
3. Disassociate Working Out with Weight Loss
A lot of people start working out to lose weight. That’s great. However, there are a lot of other benefits you get from working out besides weight loss. Once working out becomes routine, you’ll feel happier, have more energy, enjoy a higher quality of sleep, and have a well-deserved confidence boost that will reflect in other aspects of your life.
4. Start Listening to Podcasts
Podcasts are extremely effective. They provide entertainment, education, and motivation—all at the same time and requires little effort on your end! Listening to other people speak about what motivates them is an effective motivator for the listener. With some easy listening, you’ll be eager to get that next workout in instead of dreading it.
Check out these 8 Motivational Podcasts To Fire Up Your Fitness!
5. Reward Yourself
Rewards are a great motivator for many people. In the health and fitness world, people often think about rewards as being food-related. This can be the case but doesn’t have to be. Treat yourself to a new workout outfit, a massage session, a nice steak to cook for dinner, or anything else that gets you excited!
6. Subscribe to a VOD Fitness Service
One of the most common reasons it’s difficult for people to include workouts in their routine is because of the time and energy it takes make a stop at their local gym or fitness studio. Thankfully, video on demand is making it easier and more accessible to workout anytime, anywhere. Many of these services even offer programs to follow! These make a huge difference in your motivation, results, overall health, and tell you exactly what to do each day. A VOD fitness subscription is our #1 choice for the following reasons:
- On average, they’re about $15.00/month.
- Many offer a free trial period to try the workouts before you pay.
- Someone guides you through a workout and offers modifications, if needed.
- New content is routinely added so there is plenty of variety.
- Workout in the comfort of your own home. No more gym anxiety with VOD!
- Download workouts for offline use. This is perfect for when you’re traveling or not connected to Wifi.
- Workout with minimal equipment.
If you’re interested in checking out awesome VOD fitness subscriptions, click here to check out some services to subscribe to. So go brush your teeth, get a workout in, and start living the life you want!