Didn’t have a chance to tune into this past week’s episode of Friday Live? Read our recap blog below for all the top highlights from the show.
Watch Episode 41 of Friday Live on demand here.
Friday Live News Update
Matt Given covered two interesting news updates during Episode 41 of Friday Live. The first was about Microsoft and their recent activity in the OTT space. Microsoft announced that it is considering launching a movies and TV app. The company plans to put its app on Movies Everywhere – a Disney owned app that collects video content from different studios and digital stores under one interface. Although Microsoft isn’t fully investing in building its own SVOD offering, they are still looking to be players in the space and it will be interesting to see how they do.
Up next, Matt discussed the role SVOD has played in the 2018 World Cup. Akamai, an SVOD delivery platform, recently reported that within 10 days of this year’s tournament, total traffic surpassed all 64 matches of the 2014 World Cup. Also, the Columbia vs. England second round match produced the highest OTT traffic, streaming at 18.9 Terabytes per second. During this year’s World Cup, more viewers have been streaming the games than ever before, versus watching them via cable television. This transition from cable to streamed video exemplifies how prominent OTT is becoming around the globe.
SVOD Tips and Tricks
During the tips and tricks portion of Episode 41, Matt covered the top 10 tactics to consider when launching a VOD platform. Here’s what you need to know…
10. Ride the Wave: Consumers today are cutting the cord with their cable providers and signing up for OTT services instead – such as Netflix, HBO GO, etc. Data says that consumers will sign up and pay for content they love, which is proving to be true amongst our clients and other SVOD businesses.
9. Brand, It’s All About the Brand: Technology is now available for businesses to own their own on demand channel, rather than sell it through an online marketplace like Amazon or iTunes. This makes it easier for businesses to control their brand and relationships with subscribers.
8. Do You Even Technology, Bro?: Launching an OTT channel is a lot of work, specifically the technology portion. It’s important to enlist the proper help to manage the technology back end, and focus on creating quality content instead.
7. Data, It’s ALL About the Data: Being able to access the data around your subscribers (where they come from, what they respond to, etc.) is vital to the success of an SVOD channel. Get familiar with your subscriber data!
6. Security!: If subscribers are going to pay for content, you want to make sure your content is exclusive to them. Any good platform will have security features in place; this often rolls into the technology side of managing a SVOD channel.
5. App, It’s ALL about the Apps: If you’re going to launch an OTT channel, you need to understand that many of your subscribers are going to want to watch that video through an app. Your app experience should be unique and easy to navigate.
4. No Pressure, But Delivery Must Be Perfect: OTT subscribers expect flawless delivery – no buffering, no graininess. When evaluating your technology solution, make sure one of your standards is perfect delivery. It needs to work!
3. New Subs: The Art & Science of Marketing: Digital marketing is key in the OTT space. You need to understand how to maximize on paid ads, email campaigns, organic search, social media, etc. to attract more subscribers. Optimizing on these resources will assure your conversions are what you want them to be.
2. Keep Those Subscribers Happy: It’s not only important to draw new subscribers, but also keep your current subscribers satisfied. If you can get a couple extra months out of a subscriber, just by executing good tactics, it can make all the difference.
1. SVOD is a REAL Business, not a Side Hustle: Successful clients look at SVOD as a real business – a way to add real dollars to their enterprise – and treat it as such. People that make that investment see great pay off. Those that treat it as a side hustle don’t see positive results.
If you’d like a copy of the slide deck from Episode 41, outlining Matt’s top 10 tactics, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. As always, you can access all episodes of Friday Live on demand at fridaylive.intelivideo.com. Follow us at @Intelivideo on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn and look for the hashtags #FridayLive and #IVLive for questions/comments from the show. Feel free to also contact us with any questions, comments and/or compliments at email@example.com.
Be sure to check out this week’s episode where we’ll be covering a full recap from our time spent at IDEAFit 2018. Check out the sneak peek here and tune in for the live show, Friday at 11:00 AM MST.