You may roll your eyes when you think about receiving push notifications on your mobile phone. That’s most likely because some of the apps you’re using abuse this feature and end up downgrading the UX. But when push notifications are implemented properly, they can bring an incredible amount of value to app users and enhance the overall UX.
Did you know push notifications can boost app engagement by a whopping 88%? In particular, SVOD services should definitely be utilizing this feature for their app because it’s extremely effective in keeping subscribers well-informed and engaged with the platform.
What Are Push Notifications?
Push notifications are enabled through mobile apps so users are notified on their phone when they’re received — similar to text message notifications. The beauty of this tool is users don’t need the app open to receive these.
Why Should SVOD Services Use Them?
To put it simply, push notifications drive up engagement and retention! It’s the best way to reach your users directly, and can provide a significantly higher click-through rate compared to emails which can easily get lost in inbox or spam folders.
Subscribers are sure to appreciate notices from apps they’re actively using. Especially, if the notifications are correctly implemented, relevant, sent in a timely manner, personalized and require action.
With that said, let us present the best practices on push notifications for SVOD offerings.
Your Push Notifications Should ALWAYS follow these 5 guidelines:
Before you launch this feature, be 100% sure your development team is including all the necessary components to push out successful and effective notifications to subscribers.
- Allow users to opt-out of push notifications or customize the type of push notifications they would like to receive.
- Provide the ability to set a specific time to send out notifications.
- Make sure the notification is taking subscribers straight to the correct place on the UI.
Relevant & Impactful:
Only send push notifications that offer value to your subscribers.
- Think about how subscribers use your platform. Do they routinely watch your videos? Then send them a notification when new content is released. Do they shop for hard-goods you sell? Then notify them when you’re holding a sale on your products.
- Use the 10 word rule to make an impact. It’s okay to go a little less or a little more, but you don’t want to send a notification that doesn’t have enough information or has too much information. Keep it sweet, simple and to the point!
Sent in a Timely Manner:
Your subscribers’ time is valuable!
- Respect their beauty rest and don’t send push notifications in the middle of the night. Subscribers are most responsive in the morning (7AM – 9AM), in the middle of the day (11:30AM – 1:30PM) and as the day is coming to an end (5PM – 7PM).
- Another effective time to send push notifications is when someone subscribes to your service and downloads your app. Send them a thank you and welcome them to your platform. When they push the notice, lead them to your video library so they can begin exploring your content.
- Most importantly, don’t send too many push notifications. We recommend sending one per week at most until you understand if these notifications are well-received and valuable to your subscribers. Once subscribers turn notifications off, they most likely will never turn them back on. Stay cautious when implementing a push notification strategy. The last thing you want to do is bombard your users with these and negatively affect the UX.
Subscribers are more likely to take action when you add a pleasant, personal touch.
- If your unable to use first names, then at least use ‘you’. You want to personalize each notification, so subscribers understand they’re geared towards their desires and needs.
- Know where your users are in their subscriber lifecycle.
- Are they about to auto-pay on their annual subscription? Send them a reminder and ask if any changes are needed to their subscription plan.
- Have they been using your platform for 1-3 months? Send them a notification to leave you a rating, review or fill out a survey.
- Have your subscribers been working out to a playlist or a sequence of complementing videos? Help them reach their goals by reminding them to do the next workout in a playlist.
Be sure your push notifications present a “next step”.
- Be transparent in what that is so subscribers know exactly where push notifications are taking them and what it will accomplish.
Boost Up Your App Engagement & Retention with Push Notifications
When push notifications follow these 5 guidelines, it can produce a fruitful relationship between the platform and a subscriber. Users will absorb impactful information, engage with the app by taking action on notifications, the app will stick and become a part of their daily routine. Isn’t that the prime goal after all?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about using push notifications on your SVOD app! We’re also here to help any business launch a premium delivery platform for your video content. Reach out to email@example.com to schedule a demo.